Canine Good Citizen
What is Tested:
The Canine Good Citizen test is a nationally recognized program that instills a sense of responsibility and good manners in dogs and owners alike. The heart of the CGC program is the 10 step CGC test. The test consists of the following practical exercises:
1. Accepting a friendly stranger.
2. Sitting politely for petting.
3. Appearance and grooming.
4. Walking on a loose leash.
5. Walking through a crow.
6. Sit and down on command and staying in place.
7. Coming when called.
8. Reacting to another dog.
9. Reacting (or not reacting) to a distraction.
10. Supervised separation.
The CGC program is recognized as the gold standard for dog behavior. In CGC, dogs who pass the 10 step CGC test can earn a certificate and the official AKC CGC title. Dogs with the CGC title have the Suffix CGC after their names.